Mothering. Does it come naturally? It feels like second nature to me. Yet, there are many a child who would proclaim that it didn't come naturally to their mom. Perhaps it comes from modeling. In that case, I am a winner. My mom was and still is a great model for mothering. For anything, actually.
I am so grateful that my children allow me to keep my 'mothering skills' sharpened by helping out with their children. Being with little ones brings back those dear memories of my own nest being filled with busy, precious little ones.
So that Shannon and Derek could celebrate their 10th wedding anniversary I offered to have their 2 little fellas stay the night. Another chance to keep those skills sharp! After a quick trip to Target for entertainment crafts and toys I was prepared. Craig and I had such fun with them.
Sleeping away from home isn't always easy for young'ns. Corbin (the oldest) missed Mommy and Daddy. A few tender tears were shed. Aunt Kelli was visiting. She took him back to bed and offered a prayer, rubbed his back and offered words of comfort. Kelli, you will be a good mom!
Here are a few things we had fun doing together.(pictures won't load...I keep getting a "failed" message. Does this happen to anyone else?)
While the children were here a baby mourning dove fell from his nest-conveniently into a pot on the patio! It's daddy watched over him for awhile then gave up.
We didn't know what to do. After much thought and watchfulness we decided to do nothing.
The birdie spent the night in the pot.
It was still there and alive in the morning.
Before beginning Sunday School class Craig asked for advice. The combined genius of the class decided we should put the bird back in the nest-somehow.
We came right home and did it although the nest had been abandoned my mommy and the sibling!
About 4 hours later Mommy came back.
Oh my goodness the little birdie was jumping up and down with delight! Mommy was home! AND she brought a surprise! Food. Yippeee!!
Does mothering come naturally? That is up for debate. Children getting excited about surprises ---Now that's 2nd Nature!
Corbin and Cooper were pretty excited to learn that there was surprise waiting in the truck for them. I wish the camera had been there to take a shot at 2 little boys wearing lime green goggles and holding water guns! Reminds me of a birdie I saw!
3 weeks ago






4 comments:
YOU ARE A NATURAL AT ALL OF IT JUST LIKE YOUR MOTHER!!! Once, I came to the aid of a little bird that fell out of it's nest only nobody came back. I call the pet store and got instructions on his care, and he seems to flourish at first, but then he began to decline and he died. Turns out I goofed up a step and it killed him. Couldn't me anyone but me! I haven't killed any kids.
You are an amazing Grandma! Not too long ago when I was at Nick's there was a bird nest inside of his rock cave spa! And what a mess the birds had made. But inside we could see 2 little babies with their little beaks open and waiting for their mother to come back. I showed my little grandsons, and then we decided that rather than take down the nest and let the little birds possibly die, we would leave it up until they had all flown away. So we didn't disturb the nest. About a week later they were all gone -- but those little birdies must have made it and were off flying in the sky somewhere!
Thanks for your little sweet story and reminding me of mine. I love you!
Ah, Mothering. The best job in the world. :)
You are such a fabulous mother and grandmother!
Those birds picked the right yard to build their nest. :)
You ARE a natural at mothering... and not just your children and grandchildren. You nurture and care for all those around you.
I am glad that I have been the recipient of your kindness.
I am glad that the baby bird and his mommy are united and doing well.
I missed seeing you yesterday. Hugs, Lura
Post a Comment