"God is eagerly waiting for the chance to answer your PRAYERS and to fulfill your DREAMS. But He can't if you don't PRAY and He can't if you Don't DREAM." Jeffrey Holland

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Hospital Day

Hanna, my dear mother-in law, suffered from a stroke a few weeks ago.  She has been in a rehabilitation center for several weeks.  Today is her long awaited surgery.  I spoke with her last night.  She has experienced serious memory loss. She is unaware of her problem or why she isn't in her own house. Her kind nature surfaces most readily in her acceptance of the situation.  It breaks my heart to hear her wonder why she can't go home or why so and so isn't visiting or calling (when they just did) or reminding her who her grandchildren are or where we live.  


Her surgery was successful but her memory will never be the same.


Craig called me at the temple where I was working today to tell me that Mom had called him to ask for help getting Dad to the hospital.  He had a Stroke this morning!!!!


Despite receiving the alarming news during my shift it felt wonderful to be surrounded by 'brothers' and 'sisters' whom I work with and have grown to love who know how to care and love and express concern. As I departed I was reminded by some to place his name on the prayer list, prayers were promised, love and concern were expressed in words and with loving eyes, advice was given by medical professionals, and faith was shared.  It felt as though the I left the temple strengthened and surrounded.  

Dad is OKAY.  The initial stroke symptoms subsided quickly.  The CT scan indicates there was no bleeding in his brain.  It appears that he did not suffer from the classic stroke but a TIA.  We are very relieved.  He is resting comfortable in the hospital and will remain there overnight.

Mom and Dad are grateful that within in an hour there were 4 of their children at their side supporting them.  Craig and Scott gave Dad a blessing.  Peace.  

What a day.  Craig's Mom.  My dad.  

3 comments:

Carley said...

Oh Kris! I am so sorry to hear of all your sorrows. I hope your loved ones will get the care they need and feel comfortable. I love you and I will remember you in my prayers! XO

Karen said...

Hope everyone is doing better now! It is hard to see your parents aging and not able to do what they have always done. I'm grateful my mom is still here with us! Take care, Kris

Karen said...

I couldn't anywhere else to post something about the music. As I was reading your blog, the music came on that my Dad used to play all the time on his violin. I was surprised at the sudden memories the music evoked. I remember being a little girl and sitting on the floor while he practiced and being amazed at the sounds coming from the violin. Music has always been an amazing thing to me. I had such a good model in my dad for that. He loved music too. I miss that! have a good day - I've loved reading your blog as I haven't done it in quite a long time. Luv U