"God is eagerly waiting for the chance to answer your PRAYERS and to fulfill your DREAMS. But He can't if you don't PRAY and He can't if you Don't DREAM." Jeffrey Holland

Monday, March 21, 2011

Shoka

This weekend Craig and I attended inspiring meetings at church.
Sis. Flora Morgan, temple matron,  told of living in Japan when she was a young adult.  Unable to speak many Japanese words she boldly took a floral arrangement class specializing in the ancient style of Shoka.  The instructor was able to communicate with her, regardless of the language barrier, that the end result was to appear as though the floral ingredients were one.  Three varieties are combined to appear as 'one' and fit snugly in a triangular holder within the vase.

One lesson  Flora was given a large branch to include in the arrangement.  There was no way it would fit in the holder.  The teacher assured her it could be done.  Flora took the branch home to cut it with a saw!  A beautiful stem of flowers required all the blossoms to be shed save one.  It seemed such a waste to discard beautiful flowers.
 The end result appeared to be a single flower on a branch with another leaf as though they had grown together in perfection.  Three ingredients in a triangular shape reaching for the sun as though they had grown together.  Beautiful. Majestic. Simple.
She made an analogy between the Shoka arrangement and our lives.  There are many good, worthy and even beautiful opportunities to choose from in life.  But, for us to live worthily of God's greatest blessings we need to focus on those things that are central.    That may require discarding those things that are not as important to make time for the most important.  She, urged that we make time for the temple.
Going to the temple each week is one of the great parts of my life.  It is difficult to put into words the feelings of my heart regarding temple attendance.  I will try:

Appreciation for the Beautiful
Being filled with Peace no matter the storm
Feeling Loved
Feeling Loving
Confidence in God
Hope in His Promises
Increased Faith
Strength of Soul
Renewal of Vision
Refinement of Character 
Desire for Godly things

These are a few of the things that I experience in the temple.

When it comes to decorating the house my favorite motto has been
"A little too much is just about right."  
That is not a good motto for life.
 Simplicity IS beautiful.  
I will endeavor to make my life "Shoka" so that I can be "one" with God.

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

We had that talk last week in stake conference though I think you got more out of it than I did. Thank you for enlightening me:)

Grammy Staffy said...

What a beautiful post. We were subbing at the temple Saturday and missed the Morgan's talks. I was sad when I heard they spoke. However, we were needed at the temple that day so I guess it was better for us to be working at the temple than hearing talks about it. However, I am sorry we missed the Sat. night session of conference.

I agree with all your feelings about the temple. I feel the same. One that I might add to your list is the feeling of belonging there. Each time I am there.... no matter what else is calling for my time and attention... I feel like I am where I should be... I belong there.

It was nice to see you yesterday for a minute. You and Jan are special to me. Hugs, Lura

Marie Rayner said...

Kris, I feel many of the same thigns as you do about the Temple. I wish I could live there but I guess I will have to wait a while longer! Thank you so much to you and to Jan for letting me know about Lura this morning. It may sound odd as I live so far away, but she is my best friend. I would give anything to be able to be there for her, but I know you and Jan will do what you can for her when she is finally able to return home. I would follow your blog, but you do not have a followers link! I am not good at checking up on blogs and usually rely on the followers link to remind me or to send me notice when one of my friends post. That way I can keep up! xxoo

Marie Rayner said...

PS I collect Fairies too. I just love them.