"God is eagerly waiting for the chance to answer your PRAYERS and to fulfill your DREAMS. But He can't if you don't PRAY and He can't if you Don't DREAM." Jeffrey Holland

Thursday, September 4, 2008

Grandma's Magic Trick

Yes, this is my Magic Trick. Steele has been the magician in the family for years and years. I have given him some competition with this pie.
It tastes like APPLE PIE
It looks like APPLE PIE
It smells like APPLE PIE
...but is it?
NO! There isn't an apple to found in it anywhere.
It's Zucchini Pie!
Even when the grandchildren found out the secret they still wanted second helpings.

I KNOW you want the recipe so here it is!

Z'Apple Pie
5 c. zucchini -peeled, sliced, remove seeds (every one...they are a give-away!)
Cover in water in a saucepan and bring to a boil for 5 minutes. Drain well.
Make your own double pie crust or you can cheat and buy it.
Combine
1 c. sugar
1/4 c. brown sugar
1 t. cinnamon
1/4 t. nutmeg
1/4 t. allspice
1 1/4 t. cream of tartar (I don't know why-just do it)
1 T lemon juice (A MUST)
3 T. cornstarch
Add this to the zucchini and place on pie crust lined pie plate.
Top with 2 T. butter
Then enclose with second pie crust
Bake in 400 degree oven for 10 minutes (this makes the crust flakier) then lower to 350 degrees and cook 20 minutes

Let me know how the magic trick works for your family.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to try this!! I have people in my family who say they hate squash, we'll see!!

Anonymous said...

Kris, Did you see that you were the original recepient of the Nice Matters Award? I stole it from you. You are the most deserving of it! You would have been on my list had you not already received it.

Grammy Staffy said...

Thanks for the recipe. I've had it before and I was amazed how much it tastes like apple pie.

Come on over and pick up the award I sent you. It is waiting for you.

Hug, Lura

Tara D. said...

Interesting. I may have to try this recipe out. BTW, Lura sent me over to say hi. Love the blog, it's very nice!

Shannon said...

Yea! you added the pie recipe. I hope someone tries it; it really is an amazing trick. We are always looking for ways to sneak in veggies and what better way than in an "apple" pie. And when you add your beautiful crust, no one would ever suspect a thing.